6 Sneaky Ways to Get More Greens
Almost everyone has at least one family member who hates vegetables. If they're kids, we cut a little slack because it's our job to show them why this food group is vital to healthy living. 👍👍👍 If they're adults—and especially if it is you—show no mercy. Greens are non-negotiable. Aim for several servings a day and mix it up with other colourful fruits and veggies to get the most of your meal. The ideas and recipes below will get your inspiration started. 🥦🥒🥦
1. Mixed ground meatOnions, green peas, green peppers, tomatoes, fresh herbs, potatoes, green lentils, and garlic all go perfectly with seasoned ground meats like beef, turkey, and lamb. Use the meat mix in lettuce wraps, flat bread, pasta sauce, rice, or Sloppy Joes.
2. Scrambled eggChives, green peppers, and fresh spinach all pair well with scrambled eggs. Mushrooms and herbs optional.
3. SmoothiePowered greens you'd probably never hand on hand anyway. I like the Vega Vanilla Protein blended with almond milk, frozen sweet dark cherries, and fresh banana. Vega's formula includes broccoli, kale, spirulina, pea protein, and hemp.
4. LasagnaThere is no better way to disguise greens than with cheese and tomato sauce. I've snuck everything from zucchini to broccoli under layers of noodles and goo. Other favourites: fresh crushed herbs like oregano and thyme and sage, green peppers, mushrooms, onions, spinach.
Turkey and Spinach Lasagna Creamy Mushroom Lasagna Zucchini Lasagna 5. Stir-fryStir-fries are great for trying out new vegetables without a major commitment. If you don't like it, you still have plenty of greens to go around. This is how I fell for bok choy, leek, and bean sprouts.
6. TeaThere is a whole world of greens in the tea aisle. Some of my favourites include mint, sage, and holy basil. These teas are good for the digestive tract and can help with detoxification.